Saturday, May 22, 2010

Darling of the Daring Dash

Having awoken when the air was still poisonous this beautiful Saturday morning,  I roused my offspring from their slumber, hauled us all through the shower and shoved breakfast down our throats all before 6:30. This was so we would be on time for the grand inter primary sports day which started, get this, at 7:45.

Now I had a vague recollection from last year that this illustrious event was held at the primary school in Port Edward, a mere 30 kilometres south of us and as the eldest kept referring to "Suid Natal" (South Natal) I figured, in my blur of early rising that South is indeed way South and set off in good time.

I had even diligently checked the sports notice tacked to the fridge to make sure we had the right kit, right time and right child dressed in the right uniform last night and again this morning.
Well bugger me if we don't get to Port Edward, bang on time I might add, and there isn't a car in sight. Nary a one.

The horror that descended over me was palpable. One I hate being late and two, my eldest is so very particular about "events". With ice cold blood running through every nerve and sinew I picked up the trusty cell and phoned another mom. "Oh No! we are all at Port Shepstone, Port Edward is next weekend!"

Okay, one wildly and quite expertly executed u-turn later and we were heading for Port Shepstone, now a jolly 50 kilometres in the opposite direction. The kids had the grace to wave at our house as we shot past it in a blur and the poor little mites didn't whimper once as we dashed our way through the early morning taxis and delivery trucks to our destination.

Once there, the eldest was flung out of the back seat and pointed in the general direction of his team while the youngest and I drove up hill and down dale looking for a bleeding parking spot that didn't involve losing the exhaust pipe or the sump on a curb stone.

We made it in time for the bulk of the matches having only missed the first one so all was saved and the eldest played really very well despite his hell ride to the tournament. Something about adrenaline overload I think.

And next weekend, we know where we are going. Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment